Summer is great for many things: swimming, ice-creams, sunburns, vacation, general lethargy, and a lot more. But one thing that tops the list is how your skin behaves in summer. Of course, your skin takes its own sweet time to face the transition from the cooler weather of spring and adjust to the summer heat. However, once the skin adjusts to summer it glows.
Summer means no more winter-lotions while the skin gets to breathe. And all the extra moisture in the air keeps your skin hydrated.
Just when your skin starts enjoying its summer stride, autumn knocks. When the weather changes, the skin changes as well.
The skincare products that work for your skin during the summers may not be as effective during the winters. Therefore, it is important that you change your skincare routine to help your skin adapt to changing weather. Here are some simple tips that can help you have flawless, radiant skin all year long!
When Temperatures are Dropping
1) You have probably spent the last few months sweating and having makeup melt into their pores. Therefore, the best way to prepare for winters is by deep-cleansing your skin. And what better method to clear out the gunk than with a hydrating facial mask. Start with a cleaning mask that contains charcoal and mud to cleanse your pores. And follow up with a hydrating aloe mask a few nights later.
2) When it starts to get chilly out there, most of us start looking for ways to keep them warm, like a hot shower or room heater. But do you know that hot showers actually make your skin lose moisture and turn it dry? Especially if you have sensitive skin or eczema.
So as it gets cold outside, it is the time to put away your lightweight moisturizers in favour of a more hydrating moisturizer. Coconut oil makes for a good moisturizer that helps to wake up your tired skin. It deeply nourishes your skin and eliminates any visible sign of sun damage so that you look juicy, all over.
3) Keeping your skin hydrated is the key to surviving winters, so make sure you are using a hydrating serum as part of your skincare routine. First, cleanse the skin and then apply a deep-hydrating serum. As far as serums go, Vitamin C based serums are the best option for this time of the year.
4) The onset of winter doesn’t mean the smiles (and the kisses) need to stop! Keep your lips hydrated in winters by applying virgin coconut oil or a lip balm multiple times a day.
When Temperatures are Rising
- Summer means you will flock to enjoy the sun and the swim. Wear SPF daily to protect your skin from sunburn. Make sure the SPF factor is more than 30 for the best results.
- Apply a layer of coconut oil at the ends of your hair and your skin before entering the swimming pool or the ocean. Coconut oil helps create a layer on your hair and skin and protects it from chlorine and saltwater. It will not be able to protect against flirty boys though :)
- As the temperature soars, replace your heavy-duty moisturizer with something a little lighter. A moisturizer that provides light hydration without clogging your pores.
- Keep cooling products nearby for when it gets too hot to handle. Products with Aloe Vera help soothe sun-kissed skin.
All Year Round
I know, I know that two separate skincare routines in one day is like asking too much. But, no matter what time of year it is, there are certain things you should always include in your skincare routine:
1) One of the best things you can do for your skin is keeping it hydrated. When you are drinking enough water, your skin glows. So carry a reusable water bottle, drink water from it, refill it, and drink again.
2) Whether it's sunny outside or not, always apply sunscreen lotion with an SPF of 30 or more to protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
3) Eye cream is an essential part of your skincare routine. Whether you have dark circles or not, just apply some coconut oil (or any eye cream) under your eyes to avoid puffiness and wrinkles.
As you can see, with changing weather, a change in your skincare routine is quite important. It is the first line of defense to protect your skin against the damage caused by a change in weather or humidity levels. And regardless of the season, always carry a bottle of virgin coconut oil with you. Remember #CoconutOilForEverything. Your skin will definitely thank you!