Organic Virgin Coconut Oil For Shaving
Beauties, here’s a thought: what if you didn’t need fancy shaving creams pumped with toxins and could substitute them for a cleaner, healthier option (aka Coconut Oil)?
This soothing, hydrating oil can be a s(h)aving grace pre- and post-shave, and can help create a perfectly smoooooth surface for shaving. You can now bid adieu to shave cuts.
Read on to know why and how coconut oil makes for the best shaving companion.
Benefits of Coconut Oil
Organic Virgin Coconut Oil can do miraculous things for your skin. Its benefits include: intense moisturisation, acting as an antibacterial agent, reducing skin inflammation and irritation, boosting your skin with antioxidants and very importantly, maintaining a healthy skin barrier.
It is made up of a bunch of fatty acids (lauric acid, linoleic acid and palmitic acid) that lend your skin deep moisture.
Note: Choose a form of Coconut Oil that’s free from additives and fragrances. Ideally, your Coconut Oil should be both Organic and Cold-pressed. A chemically-altered form of Coconut Oil can be harmful to your health in the long-term.
How to use Coconut Oil for Shaving?
You can use Organic Virgin Coconut Oil as it is or you can mix it with other hydrating oils and gels.
The steps go like this:
- Moisten all the parts you’ll be shaving with a thin layer of Coconut Oil. It’s also perfectly safe for use on your sensitive areas like armpits and your hoo-haa.
- Let the oil sink in and let it sit for a while. This will allow it to soften your skin.
- You can apply your regular shaving cream on top of this to create an added barrier, if you feel like it’s necessary.
- Shave as per usual rinsing your razor after every few strokes to ensure there’s no build-up of Coconut Oil or hair.
- Rinse your shaved bits with lukewarm water. Pat dry gently with a soft towel. Avoid rubbing it hard or tugging at it to avoid irritation. Also, steer clear of harsh soaps or cleansers for a day.
How to use Coconut Oil Post-shaving?
Slather your body generously with Organic Virgin Coconut Oil every single day in between your shaves. This will help avoid several shaving woes like pigmentation, in-grown hair, inflammation and irritated skin.
The best time to lock in all its goodness is post a shower. After a warm shower, pat dry. While your skin is still damp, apply the oil all over and it’ll lock in all the moisture without letting your skin dry up. This is essentially done within a minute of stepping out of the shower. This could also help keep out nasties like bacteria, viruses and pollutants.
Coconut Oil, in its organic and cold-pressed form, can be an excellent alternative to conventional shaving creams.
Disclaimer: Although extremely rare, patch test on a small area at the back of your hand to ensure you’re not allergic to it.